The Scotland Photo Adventure
14 Days to photograph stunning landscapes, spectacular castles and amazing wildlife – it’s a Scottish Highlands photographic experience you’ll cherish forever. The mystical and magical Scottish Highlands has been the inspiration behind some of the best landscape photography you’ll see today.
So join me on this Scottish photography tour where I’m sure you will experience a sensory overload as you encounter image after image, around every corner, that you’ll want to capture – I still do and I used to live there – just ensure you have enough memory cards to cope with it all!
The Highlands of Scotland Experience – a 14 day/13 night photo adventure
Trevor will be taking you to the atmospheric glens and moody mountains of Glencoe and Glen Etive in the Scottish Highlands. From there you’ll continue west to the Isles of Skye and Mull where the dramatic landscape and unique wildlife adventure continues. And although this is a photography based adventure it’s not specifically just for photographers. Trevor also wants you to enjoy a true Scottish experience. So if your partner loves the great outdoors and wants to soak up some dramatic scenery, wander around some historic castles and enjoy some great Scottish hospitality, then this adventure will be just as enjoyable for them too.
Here are just a few of the highlights you’ll encounter on this Adventure.
- The awe-inspiring Glencoe.
- The Historic Fort William.
- Stunning landscapes of the Isle of Skye.
- Isle of Mull and a boat trip to photograph the adorable puffins.
- Visit and photograph Eilean Donan Castle.
- Can’t miss the legendary Loch Ness.
- A trip up the Nevis Range Gondola.
- 14 day tour – all accommodation and food included.
The following information provides details of where we’ll stay and what we hope to see and photograph during the tour. I will just say at this point though, the Scottish weather can be both unpredictable and rather changeable – which for me is all part of its charm and can result in some very atmospheric and moody landscape photo opportunities. There are also field trips planned to photograph the wildlife, and in some weather conditions, and because of the nature of animal behaviour, sightings cannot be guaranteed – although I have picked locations where the chances are very high. For these reasons I try to keep the itinerary as flexible as possible. This enables me to work with the conditions, not against them, which in turn increases your chances of capturing some great images.
Days 1 – 3 ∼ 27th – 29th May
We’ll head west towards Glencoe, stopping en-route for any photo ops. The next three nights we’ll be staying in Loch Leven Hotel on full board basis, with packed lunches for when we’re out in the field photographing the magnificent Glencoe and Glen Etive.
- Glen Etive
- Take in the history of the area and the Caledonian Canal at Fort William.
- Trip up the Nevis Range Gondola.
Days 4 – 5 ∼ 30th – 31st May
We now head towards the Legendary Loch Ness, staying in the Fort Augustus area for 2 nights where we’ll get to see and spend time photographing the local area.
Fort Augustus is a scenic hamlet situated at the southern end of Loch Ness.
- Views of Loch Ness and its world renowned scenery.
- Evening cruise on Loch Ness.
- Urquhart Castle – explore and visit the stunning remains of the highland castle that overlooks Loch Ness.
- Neptune’s Staircase – the longest canal ‘staircase lock’ in Britain.
Day 6, 7 and 8 ∼ 1st – 3rd June
Leaving Fort Augustus we head towards the west coast. But before getting there, we do three one-night stopovers. This gives us the opportunity to see, visit and photograph more of the gems to be found the Western Highlands.
- Eilean Donan Castle – Probably one of the most iconic and photographed castles in Scotland.
- Applecross – Bealach na Ba – The road to Applecross takes you through Bealach na Ba (meaning Pass of the Cattle) which is breathtaking, especially from the top on a clear day, so fingers crossed for good weather.
- Plockton – This picturesque village sits on a sheltered bay with stunning views overlooking Loch Carron. Weather permitting, we’ll take a 1 hour boat trip with Calum’s seal trips to photograph seals. If you’re lucky you may even spot an otter playing and catching fish along the shore.
Day 9, 10 and 11 ∼ 4th – 6th June
Isle of Skye – From Plockton we make our way to the Isle of Skye where our three days will be based in Portree and a 4 star B&B. Portree has a good variety of great restaurants for our evening meals as well as giving us easy access to the various landscape locations we’ll be visiting including:
- Old Man of Storr
- The Cullins
- The Fairy Pools
Day 12 and 13 ∼ 7th and 8th June
Isle of Mull – After returning to the mainland we head south to the Isle of Mull. From Mull we’ll be getting a boat trip to the Treshnish Ilse and the Island of Lunga to photograph the adorable puffins and other sea birds that breed on the island at this time of year. We spend 2 nights on Mull as we have to travel on the ferry from Oban, and this makes it much easier for the boat trip to Lunga.
Day 14 ∼ 9th June
End of the tour and after breakfast time to drop you off at your designated location for your journey home.
And throughout the Tour…
On top of all of this Trevor will be on hand at all times giving you as much tuition and feedback on your photography as you want. In the evenings (if not out taking photos) there will also be plenty of opportunity to reflect on the day’s photography as well as critiquing any images that you would like him to. Throughout the tour there will also be free time for you to cruise at your own pace if you so wish. It is important that you let Trevor know what you would like, as this is your adventure.
Note: there will be some early starts and late finishes to capture some great light throughout the whole trip, but catching sunrise and sunset every day is just not realistic. At this time of year the Sun rises at 4.45am and sets around 10.15pm which would mean you only get a few hours’ sleep each night!
All-inclusive Food and Accommodation
Yes, that’s right, this tour includes all food! From some of the wonderful breakfasts served up at the luxury B&B’s to the delicious evening meals served at your Hotel, or on occasions some of the fine local restaurants especially on the Isle of Skye. Lunch times will be a combination of a packed lunches, cafes or local restaurant depending on our location.
All 13 nights accommodation is also included.
Cost and Booking
Cost per person, based on sharing a twin room (double rooms are available too): from NZ $10,598.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £6,235.00). For a single person wanting their own room the cost is (NZ) $11,886.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £6,792.00).
This is an unbelievably good price for a 3 week specialised tour including all food* and accommodation. It also includes all trips mentioned in the itinerary, as well as transfer to and from Glasgow International Airport or Pitlochry Railway Station. (Contact us if you need picking up from another location and we’ll see if we can include that as well – depending where that is). And of course it includes the services of Trevor Penfold and all his team that make this amazing trip possible.
Non Refundable Deposit (NZ) $4,755.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £2,717.00) to secure your place.
Balance to be paid 6 weeks before Tour start date.
Does not include:
- Travel insurance.
- Any medication.
- Transfers, except for those mentioned above.
- Any drinks, alcoholic or soft drinks, that you may want with meals or when we’re out and about etc.
- Spending money for gifts, souvenirs etc.
*If you decide to eat at a restaurant not suggested by Trevor, which you are more than welcome to do, that will be at your own expense.
Terms and Conditions
Yes, we have ours too, so please ensure you read them. It is important because by booking your place and paying a deposit it means you agree with and accept all of them.
- Trevor Penfold Photography reserves the right to change any part of the itinerary without notice due to any unforeseen circumstances that may arise.
- Once your deposit has been paid, securing your place, it is completely non-refundable and no negotiation will be entered into to change this fact under any circumstances.
- The balance of payment is due no later than 6 weeks before the start of the tour. This payment is also non-refundable under any circumstances.
- Unfortunately personal circumstances can change and, although unlikely, you may find yourself needing to cancel your place, or in need of medical assistance whilst on the tour. For these reasons we strongly advise that you take out adequate travel insurance to cover yourself for this and any other unforeseen eventuality.
- Payment by credit card will incur a 1.5% fee added to the stated price of the tour/the amount you pay by credit card.
- No internal or international flights are included in the tour and it is your responsibility to book and pay for your own flights.
- No visas are arranged or included in the tour – again it is your responsibility to check about visa requirements.
- If Trevor Penfold Photography cancels the tour a full refund will be given.
- The decision of Trevor Penfold Photography, arising from any dispute, is final and no negotiation will be entered into.