The Tay Valley Photo Adventure
Indulge yourself in this 7 day 6 night Photographic adventure in the heart of the Tay Valley and surrounding area. Impressive rivers, beautiful burns stunning waterfalls and amazing wildlife, these are just some of the highlights you’ll get to photograph and experience on this impressive 7 day photo adventure. Staying in 5 star accommodation on a full board basis this photographic experience will be one to remember.
The Tay Valley Photo Adventure – a 7 day/6 night photo adventure
Trevor will be your host and photography guide on this 7 day adventure which forms part of the longer 21 day Highlands of Scotland experience. Although this is a photography based adventure it’s not specifically just for photographers. Trevor also wants you to enjoy a true Scottish experience. So if your partner loves the great outdoors and wants to soak up some dramatic scenery, wander through some wonderful countryside and enjoy some great Scottish hospitality, then this adventure will be just as enjoyable for them too.
Here are just a few of the highlights you’ll encounter on this Adventure.
- Waterfalls and rivers in the Tay Valley.
- Falls of Bruar
- Loch of the Lowes Nature Reserve
- Highland Wildlife Park
- The Hermitage
- Edradour, the smallest traditional distillery in Scotland.
- 7 day tour – all accommodation and food included.
The following information provides details of where we’ll stay and what we hope to see and photograph during your stay with us. I will just say at this point though, the Scottish weather can be both unpredictable and rather changeable – which for me is all part of its charm and can result in some very atmospheric and moody landscape photo opportunities. There are also field trips planned to photograph the wildlife, and in some weather conditions, and because of the nature of animal behaviour, sightings cannot be guaranteed – although I have picked locations where the chances are very high. For these reasons I try to keep the itinerary as flexible as possible. This enables me to work with the conditions, not against them, which in turn increases your chances of capturing some great images.
Day 1 – Day 7 ~ 20th-26th May
Tursachan is a luxury 5 star holiday house in the Tay valley. It’s located between Aberfeldy and the picturesque village of Kenmore, which is situated at the mouth of the River Tay as it leaves Loch Tay, and will be our base for this adventure. Tursachan was chosen not only for its first class accommodation but also for its position, offering easy access to the many photo locations this beautiful part of Scotland has to offer. To enable us to give you the most flexible photo opportunities we’ve organised in-house catering. This means you will be served full cooked breakfasts and delicious home cooked meals each day. And as it’s in-house, it means Trevor can organise meal times to fit in with the day’s schedule and make the most of the conditions available. It also means packed lunches can be organised for the days we may be away from places to eat.
So what’s in-store for you in this seven day adventure? Trevor will be taking you to some great photo locations throughout the week. He’s put together the following itinerary which includes places of interest and activities to ensure you have a fantastic time and that you get to experience what the area has to offer. Having sole use of this wonderful 5 star house also means Trevor can get everyone up to speed with their photography. He’ll run various workshops and discussions throughout the week to help you improve your photography skills. This will ensure that you get the most out of what this amazing adventure has to offer and that you have a very enjoyable time with us.
The picturesque village of Kenmore – Set at the northern end of Loch Tay, where the River Tay (the longest river in Scotland) exits to continue on its journey. This has endless photo opportunities, especially on a still day when the reflections in the loch and river add an extra dimension to the whole landscape.
- Historic buildings – including the Church, the stone arched bridge over the River Tay, Kenmore Castle.
- The Crannog Centre – a unique reconstruction of an ancient loch dwelling showing what life was like 2,500 years ago.
- Woodland and riverside walks.
Falls of Dochart – Located at the western end of Loch Tay in the Village of Killin. An impressive set of rocks and rapids that can go from a gentle flow of water weaving through the rocks to a full blown torrent crashing over the top of them, depending on water levels. The Moirlanich-Longhouse is also nearby if you fancy a step back in time.
Dunkeld – A lovely village that sits on the banks of the River Tay and where there are lots of photo opportunities for both landscape and wildlife.
- Cathedral – part ruin and part parish church.
- The Hermitage – spectacularly large Douglas Furs, the amazing folly – Ossian’s Hall – overlooking Black Linn waterfall, and if you keep your eyes open you may be lucky enough to see and photograph the red squirrels. Basically it’s a nature photographer’s heaven.
- Rumbling Bridge – so called due to the thundering sound coming from the River Braan below – impressive rapids and waterfall.
- Loch of the Lowes Nature Reserve – we’ll be there when the Ospreys usually nest around the Loch and can be viewed from the hide; also good for spotting other waterfowl, forest birds, red Squirrels and sometimes deer.
Queens View – Overlooks Loch Tummel (depend on time available).
Falls of Bruar – An impressive gorge with some great falls and stone bridges, a short walk but steep in places. Also an opportunity to perhaps have lunch at the House of Bruar and, dare I say it, a chance to buy any gifts (shopping completely optional but the lunches are delicious).
Highland Wildlife Park – Day trip. On our return may stop off to photograph the The Ruins of Ruthven Barracks.
Argaty Red Kites – A chance to photograph beautiful wild red kites as they come down to feed. Part of a conservation program to help the endangered birds.
And throughout the Tour…
On top of all of this Trevor will be on hand at all times giving you as much tuition and feedback on your photography as you want. In the evenings (if not out taking photos) there will also be plenty of opportunity to reflect on the day’s photography as well as critiquing any images that you would like him to. Throughout the tour there will also be free time for you to cruise at your own pace if you so wish. It is important that you let Trevor know what you would like, as this is your adventure.
Note: there will be some early starts and late finishes to capture some great light throughout the whole trip, but catching sunrise and sunset every day is just not realistic. At this time of year the Sun rises at 4.45am and sets around 10.15pm which would mean you only get a few hours’ sleep each night!
All-inclusive Food and Accommodation
Yes, that’s right, this adventure includes all food! From the wonderful breakfasts, to the delicious evening meals that you will be servred at the this fantastic 5 Star accommodation.
Cost and Booking
Cost per person, based on sharing a twin room (limited double rooms are available too): (NZ) $5,441.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £3,109.00). For a single person wanting their own room the cost is (NZ) $5,903.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £3,373.00).
This is an unbelievably good price for a weeks specialised tour including all food* and accommodation. It also includes all trips mentioned in the itinerary, as well as transfer to and from Glasgow International Airport or Pitlochry Railway Station. (Contact us if you need picking up from another location and we’ll see if we can include that as well – depending where that is). And of course it includes the services of Trevor Penfold and all his team that make this amazing trip possible.
Non Refundable Deposit (NZ) $2,176.00 (equivalent to approx. UK £1,243.00) to secure your place.
Balance to be paid 6 weeks before Tour start date.
Does not include:
- Travel insurance.
- Any medication.
- Transfers, except for those mentioned above.
- Any drinks, alcoholic or soft drinks, that you may want with meals or when we’re out and about etc.
- Spending money for gifts, souvenirs etc.
*If you decide to eat at a restaurant, which you are more than welcome to do, that will be at your own expense (not refunds will be given as the catering will have all been planed and accounted for).
Terms and Conditions
Yes, we have ours too, so please ensure you read them. It is important because by booking your place and paying a deposit it means you agree with and accept all of them.
- Trevor Penfold Photography reserves the right to change any part of the itinerary without notice due to any unforeseen circumstances that may arise.
- Once your deposit has been paid, securing your place, it is completely non-refundable and no negotiation will be entered into to change this fact under any circumstances.
- The balance of payment is due no later than 6 weeks before the start of the tour. This payment is also non-refundable under any circumstances.
- Unfortunately personal circumstances can change and, although unlikely, you may find yourself needing to cancel your place, or in need of medical assistance whilst on the tour. For these reasons we strongly advise that you take out adequate travel insurance to cover yourself for this and any other unforeseen eventuality.
- Payment by credit card will incur a 1.5% fee added to the stated price of the tour/the amount you pay by credit card.
- No internal or international flights are included in the tour and it is your responsibility to book and pay for your own flights.
- No visas are arranged or included in the tour – again it is your responsibility to check about visa requirements.
- If Trevor Penfold Photography cancels the tour a full refund will be given.
- The decision of Trevor Penfold Photography, arising from any dispute, is final and no negotiation will be entered into.